Mod City Mag Turns 2!
Mod City Mag is 2 years old! September 19 marked 2 years since Mod City’s launch back in 2011. Hard to believe we’ve been bringing all you lovely readers new issues full of food, fashion, beauty, parenting, fitness, DIY, social causes, and so much more for two whole years now. I’m sure the entire staff would agree it’s been a fun two years with lots of awesome stories, deadlines, writer’s block, new ideas, and good amounts of coffee. We wouldn’t be anything without all of YOU, though! We cannot thank you enough for coming back and reading what we have to say. It’s been a fun ride the past two years because of all of you!
It wouldn’t be a celebration without cake now would it?! Don’t worry, I wouldn’t let a reason to bake a cake slip between my fingers. To celebrate 2 years of Mod City I made an absolutely delicious Vanilla Bourbon Bundt Cake with a Bourbon Drizzle. I think I’m still in a doughnut mode when I decided on a bundt cake. Afterall, bundt cakes just look like big doughnuts. I love them for that reason. I’m not huge on frosting so I prefer a cake topped with glaze, and if you want to drizzle it with a little bit of bourbon, I’m not going to complain, I might hug you for being so awesome. And of course, there had to be sprinkles – it’s glitter for cake, a must when celebrating!
Vanilla Bourbon Cake with Vanilla Drizzle
For the cake:
Recipe from DietHood.com
- 1 teaspoon Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (I used 1 vanilla bean)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan and grease with nonstick spray.
- Combine bourbon and vanilla in a small bowl, stir and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and both sugars until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, one by one, beating until well blended.
- Pour in the bourbon mixture and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture.
- Pour in the milk and continue to mix until well incorporated and smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared bundt pan; smooth the top and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
To make the glaze, simply combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tbsp or so of milk or water. Pour over the cake.
For the Bourbon Drizzle:
Recipe from HowSweetEats.com
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Add the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and cook for 1 to 2 minutes once boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan and let the syrup sit and cool to room temperature, where it will thicken. It won’t be super thick, but just slightly syrupy. Then drizzle over your cake.